Sunday, May 20, 2007

Response to Ch. 6 & 7 of Buruma

Having read Murder in Amsterdam in sections, my response to these chaphters are starting to resemble my previous thoughts, but now I have taken what Buruma says a little more personal about people's thoughts of themselves and others. I think that the general population in the Netherlands that are passionate about what happened to Theo Van Gogh and about the policies of immigration is confused about how they feel. Mohammed himself seemed to be a very confused man in the words of Buruma. Mohammed often correlated his actions to his religion, but I just learned he wasn't the religious man that I always thought he was. I think he had a lot of bigger issues that he needed to work through before being able to pose his ideas on other people, or in this case critisize others' opinion.

The internal conflict his murderer seems to be very prevalant in Amsterdam, as demonstrated through the lack of common resolution to the issue of how to honor the death of Theo Van Gogh. Some people felt that his presence was not necessary in Amsterdam, but having this belief goes against everything I have always thought of Amsterdam to be. What ever happened to the liberal tolerance that people on the outside still believe to exsist?


More to come....