Wednesday, May 2, 2007

E-Research

As I had commented in class, I didn't really see the difference between e-research and the research that is currently being done in the humanities and social sciences. After Paul's explanation about e-research, I guess I understand why I have been so confused by it for so long. The whole entire topic of e-research is a broad explanation of the type of research that goes on during the interaction of technology and through the use of modern technology, such as the blogosphere. It makes the older methods of collecting and data sharing seem very ineffective. While the older methods tend to answer questions that are based in quantitative data collection, the newer methods of e-research will lead to answers regarding qualitative questions. I think it will answer the question why through the interaction of people and technology.

In response to how our group will utilize e-research to find the answers to our questions prior to heading to Amsterdam, I think we will have to find discussions on the Internet about fashion, through the interaction of fashion stylist and their suggestions. Much like the millions of fashion and gossip magazines available here in the United States, I think it will be possible to access those kind of things in Amsterdam. By accessing the types of fashion statements that are being made in Amsterdam, we will have a basis for what is popular and where. I also think we will have to find out more about what the religion says in regard to how women and men dress. I think of any type of bible (or the Koran) as being created by man instead of an all mighty power, so it would be interesting to use the Internet to find access to discusses of such things. I have also thought about using forums to set up my own discussion to see what kind of responses I will get back. I don't think the uses I have mentioned above necessarily involve the term e-research, more than they just involve the benefits of Internet access.

No comments: