Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ethnography Challenges

I don't know how but it looks like I somehow missed this assignment for last Monday, so here it is now. Sorry that it's a little later.

Shirley and I are very interested in the psychological choices that Moroccan men and women make in relation to how they dress. As much as I would like to say that I don't think about what I'm wearing, I do. I don't just wake up in the morning and throw something on, I make sure it matches and that it is appropriate for what kind of day I'm going to have. So I have come to the realization that fashion decisions are not as simple as I have made them out to be in previous times. Aside from my personal thoughts, I think that our topic is well designed and could possibly be answered in a variety of ways. I think, and Shirley might disagree, our biggest challenge will be staying focused on one technique and not trying to do too much in the short amount of time that we are allowed.

At this time, we think that our best technique will be to approach patrons at Moroccan cafes with a short questionnaire. Also we also hope to find someone to conduct a case study on.

Some of the challenges that I anticipate:
1. Being able to properly identify our patrons as Moroccans. Also, it might be difficult to approach them because as Miriam pointed out to us, they have been under watch for quite some time. They are the topic of research for many people. I feel like it might be difficult to establish the necessary connections with these people in the 4 weeks that we have.
2. Determining the most appropriate questions, ones that are going to get us answers while still not invading our interviewee's personal space.
3. TIME. I hate time, it just gets in the way.

2 comments:

Clifford Tatum said...

irina- the challenges you identify are very insightful. have you given any thought on how to overcome the barriers you mention? for example, what other data gathering methods can you use to augment your interview data? great project!

Clifford Tatum said...

...also, great interview questions below! how did your anticipated challenges play out in this non-Moroccan interview? did the experience provide additional insight into how you might deal with the challenges?