Sunday, August 5, 2007

Brussels & Gay Pride Weekend

The last four days have been so busy and FUN!!! On Thursday afternoon, we left for Brussels. Once we arrived in Brussels, Sunil, Jon, Julia and I took the time that was provided (2.5 hours) and explored as much of Brussels as was possible. We think we did a good job! We saw most of the important sights. Pictures are available upon request!!!

Friday morning, we all very slowly headed our way to lecture enjoying the sun as we walked. At the end of the day around 4p, we were set free to spend the rest of the evening in Brussels doing whatever we wanted. A group of us headed over to Delirium. AWESOME BAR, the best in the World! Yes, I did say the World. They have approximately 2000 beers and a really awesome atmosphere!

Besides having a lot of fun in Brussels, I took some mental notes in regard to my project. While we were sitting at the Grand Square (I can't remember what it's really called), Jack pointed out to me a Muslim girl dressed rather sparkly. She was wearing white pants, a silver sparkly shirt and a white hijab. It was very bright and interesting. From her appearance the outfit to screen fashion statement, but I will not make any conclusions about it.

In general, most of the Muslim women I saw were in tourist groups. I say that most of them seemed to be tourists because they all travelled in groups taking pictures of everything (just like us). Most of the women were dressed much more conservative than those I had seen in Amsterdam. In general, most of the women in the groups were covered from head to toe, some of them even wearing a dress coat. Yet while I watched them, it was refreshing to see that maybe their attitudes weren't as conservative. Many of them were laughing and running through the streets like little children. I don't think that I saw many Muslims that seemed to be natives to Brussels, besides the one that was begging people for money. I think she would have been a very interesting person to interview but I didn't want to try. I am highly bothered by those that beg others for money.

Once we arrived back in Amsterdam Friday night, I headed to my room to sleep.

Saturday morning, I got up and wandered the streets with the rest of the group seeking out a spot to watch the float parade. There were soooooooooo many people on the streets, yet I don't think I saw one Muslim woman out there. Based on my understanding of the Islamic culture, I really think I wasn't expecting to see that many Muslims out enjoying the festivities, but I am going to jump to any conclusions. I think maybe there were just too many people out there to notice.

Overall, it was an awesome weekend.

Last Wednesday afternoon, I met with Mirjam to discuss with her possible places that Shirley and I should go check out. She recommended Amstedam West (Westerpark) and the area west of it, so now I am going to go check it out. A blog on my experience should follow shortly.

No comments: