Sunday, April 8, 2007

Research Topic in its early stage...

With the overwhelming amount of topics that we are allowed to investigate in Amsterdam, I feel slightly confused, but more than anything I feel like a little kid standing at the counter of a candy store. I want to explore everything and know everything but realistically there is no way that I can do that. I have narrowed my topic down to immigration, focusing on several different aspects with the large topic, mostly on how immigrants cultures have changed within the Dutch culture (I hope that's right Shirley). Here is my outline as requested by the assignment:

A) After Wednesday's seminar, Shirley and I have decided to work together. We both noticed that Jonathon, Jana, and Jenny are also interested in immigration so it would interesting to work with them as well, if they are interested in possibly creating a large overall project with each of us focusing on one particular aspect (?).

B) Before heading to Amsterdam, we are interested in getting statistics about immigration to Amsterdam and the Netherlands in general. It would be interesting to understand where they are from, why they left, and where they first went after leaving. I am also interested in knowing the ages of the immigrants, to see if its more of an immigration of younger generations or older. Also, I would be interested in seeing how many family members left with the immigrants. I guess I just want to know everything quantitavelyabout the immigrants. Within these statistics, I would like to focus on the three largest groups.

Some of our larger questions will revolve around discrimination and oppression, and its opposites. We are interested to find out how the lives of immigrants change in the liberal environment of Amsterdam. I feel that no matter how liberal a society is discrimination will still exist, even in the slightest form. In such an assimilated society, I feel that many of the immigrants' opinions may not be heard so I would be interested to see where the roots for their lack of voice comes from.

Aside from understanding the roles of discrimination and oppression in these peoples' lives, we are interested in setting up family interviews with families consisting of at least two generations of immigrants. It would be ideal to find a family with a first generation grandparent, a second generation parent and maybe an adolescent third generation kid. I am interesting in seeing how their opinions of the tolerant society differs. I am interested in seeing how the views of the youngest generation differs from his/her immigrant culture.

C) International Engagement!!!!!! I am so excited to explore without a restricting structure!

D) We might have difficulties crossing language barriers but after having talked to some people that have lived in Amsterdam, I was ensured that most people speak English. I also think it might be difficult to locate families that are interested in doing a one-on-one interview with us. I don't know where to look to find this. I also think we might have too many questions to ask the immigrants, and might possibly get off-track.

Overall, this is just my ideas on paper, well kinda I should say "on digital paper".

No comments: